Bitcoin surges after accidentally released Treasury statement
Prices of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies have soared following the apparent accidental release of a U.S. Treasury statement on Biden’s expected executive order on digital assets.
The premature statement by Treasury Secretary Yellen, which was dated March 9, has since been removed.
“President Biden’s historic executive order calls for a coordinated and comprehensive approach to digital asset policy. This approach will support responsible innovation that could result in substantial benefits for the nation, consumers, and businesses.Quote from the now deleted statement
It will also address risks related to illicit finance, protecting consumers and investors, and preventing threats to the financial system and broader economy.”
At the time of writing, Bitcoin is up nearly 8% in the last 24 hours.
Biden’s executive order aims to regulate the crypto market while also reaping the benefits of digital currencies.
So far, like most countries in the world, the US has tended to react to developments and has limited itself to pointing to a political-economic approach that is yet to be developed.
Statement by Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen on President Biden’s Executive Order on Digital Assets
March 9, 2022
WASHINGTON – U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen released the following statement on President Biden’s executive order on digital assets.
“President Biden’s historic executive order calls for a coordinated and comprehensive approach to digital asset policy. This approach will support responsible innovation that could result in substantial benefits for the nation, consumers, and businesses. It will also address risks related to illicit finance, protecting consumers and investors, and preventing threats to the financial system and broader economy.
Under the executive order, Treasury will partner with interagency colleagues to produce a report on the future of money and payment systems. We’ll also convene the Financial Stability Oversight Council to evaluate the potential financial stability risks of digital assets and assess whether appropriate safeguards are in place. And, because the questions raised by digital assets often have important cross-border dimensions, we’ll work with our international partners to promote robust standards and a level playing field.
This work will complement ongoing efforts by Treasury. Already, the Department has worked with the President’s Working Group on Financial Markets, the FDIC, and OCC to study one particular kind of digital asset – stablecoins– and to make recommendations. Under the executive order, Treasury and interagency partners will build upon the recently published National Risk Assessments, which identify key illicit financing risks associated with digital assets.
As we take on this important work, we’ll be guided by consumer and investor protection groups, market participants, and other leading experts. Treasury will work to promote a fairer, more inclusive, and more efficient financial system, while building on our ongoing work to counter illicit finance, and prevent risks to financial stability and national security.”
- Bitcoin WhitePaper Daybitcoin, white paper
- Henry David Thoreau“Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.” Henry David Thoreau Henry David Thoreau (July 12, 1817-May 6, 1862) was an American essayist, philosopher, and poet. Thoreau’s writing is … Continue reading Henry David Thoreau
- Edward Snowden on privacy“If you think privacy is unimportant for you because you have nothing to hide, you might as well say free speech is unimportant for you because you have nothing useful to say.” Edward … Continue reading Edward Snowden on privacy
- Bitcoin’s Store of ValueTo any intelligent observer, it has been apparent that bitcoin’s primary use has emerged to be store of value/investment. Yes, bitcoin’s decentralized/permissionless solution to creating an immutable cryptographically secured database brings a vast … Continue reading Bitcoin’s Store of Value
- Cryptocurrency Mining GlossaryCryptocurrency Mining Glossary If you are new to cryptocurrencies, you might find the topic a bit confusing due to the terminology involved. Just refer to this page when you see an unfamiliar word … Continue reading Cryptocurrency Mining Glossary