Autodidacticism (also autodidactism) or self-education (also self-learning and self-teaching) is education without the guidance of masters (such as teachers and professors) or institutions (such as schools).
Generally, autodidacts are individuals who choose the subject they will study, their studying material, and the studying rhythm and time.
Autodidacts may or may not have formal education, and their study may be either a complement or an alternative to formal education.
Many notable contributions have been made by autodidacts.
“My advice, as in everything, is to read widely and think for yourself.
We need more dissent and less dogma.”Camille Paglia
“For those of you who may be homeschooled: high school is that four-year asylum where they put teenagers because we have no idea what else to do with them.”Anthony Esolen
“There is nothing to be gained by pretending that academic involvement is necessary, or even always desirable, in the quest for truth and knowledge.”Christopher Langan
“Drop out of school before your mind rots from exposure to our mediocre educational system.
Forget about the Senior Prom and go to the library and educate yourself if you’ve got any guts.
Some of you like Pep rallies and plastic robots who tell you what to read.
Forget I mentioned it.
This song has no message.
Rise for the flag salute.”Frank Zappa, liner notes for song “Hungry Freaks Daddy” on the album “Freak Out!“
“That man is intellectually of the mass who, in the face of any problem, is satisfied with thinking the first thing he finds in his head.
On the contrary, the excellent man is he who condemns what he finds in his mind without previous effort, and only accepts as worthy of him what is still far above him and what requires a further effort in order to be reached.”José Ortega y Gasset, The Revolt of the Masses (1929)
“When brought to the proletariat from the capitalist class, science is invariably adapted to suit capitalist interests.
What the proletariat needs is a scientific understanding of its own position in society.
That kind of science a worker cannot obtain in the officially and socially approved manner. …
For this reason he must be completely self-taught.”Karl Kautsky
“Only the autodidacts are free.”Nassim Nicholas Taleb, “Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder”
- Bitcoin WhitePaper Daybitcoin, white paper
- Henry David Thoreau“Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.” Henry David Thoreau Henry David Thoreau (July 12, 1817-May 6, 1862) was an American essayist, philosopher, and poet. Thoreau’s writing is … Continue reading Henry David Thoreau
- Edward Snowden on privacy“If you think privacy is unimportant for you because you have nothing to hide, you might as well say free speech is unimportant for you because you have nothing useful to say.” Edward … Continue reading Edward Snowden on privacy
- Bitcoin’s Store of ValueTo any intelligent observer, it has been apparent that bitcoin’s primary use has emerged to be store of value/investment. Yes, bitcoin’s decentralized/permissionless solution to creating an immutable cryptographically secured database brings a vast … Continue reading Bitcoin’s Store of Value
- Cryptocurrency Mining GlossaryCryptocurrency Mining Glossary If you are new to cryptocurrencies, you might find the topic a bit confusing due to the terminology involved. Just refer to this page when you see an unfamiliar word … Continue reading Cryptocurrency Mining Glossary