It is from the epithet of a parable, explaining that a fool waits for the stream to stop before crossing, while a wise man forgoes comfort and crosses anyway.
“Dimidium facti qui coepit habet: sapere aude” (“He who has begun is half done: dare to know!”).
- “Have the courage to think for yourself“
- “Have courage to use your own reason“, in the context of committing to tasks that need to be embarked upon, however unpleasant or awkward.
- “Dare to be wise”, the motto of the Enlightenment.
- Immanuel Kant described it as the motto of the Enlightenment in his essay “What Is Enlightenment?“.
- It is a frequently used motto for academic institutions.
Kant answers the question in the first sentence of the essay: “Enlightenment is man’s emergence from his self-incurred immaturity (Unmündigkeit).”
He argues that the immaturity is self-inflicted not from a lack of understanding, but from the lack of courage to use one’s reason, intellect, and wisdom without the guidance of another.
Kant argued that using one’s reason is considered dangerous by most men and all women.
He exclaims that the motto of the Enlightenment is “Sapere aude“! – Dare to be wise!
- Bitcoin mining and the Luck StatisticBitcoin Mining and the Luck Statistic • 0. Introduction My aim is for any brand new miner to be able to determine just how unlikely any run of bad luck is, and so reduce … Continue reading Bitcoin mining and the Luck Statistic
- Happy Children’s Day
- Bitcoin is Freedom…Bitcoin can serve as a first line of defense for freedom — a nonviolent tool which can disincentivize violence and control. It is not only a hedge against currency devaluation, but a hedge … Continue reading Bitcoin is Freedom…
- Your Silence…Silence is the absence of ambient audible sound, the emission of sounds of such low intensity that they do not draw attention to themselves, or the state of having ceased to produce sounds; this latter sense can … Continue reading Your Silence…
- Best Pool RulesBest Pool Rules In my opinion, more or less in order: 1) Lowest fees 1a) Shares transaction fees 1b) Any pool that does NOT share transaction fees should be rejected from consideration (which, … Continue reading Best Pool Rules